Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Samuel Beckett strikes

As part of a large studio project in the second half of 2013, I created a body of work which investigated the play Waiting for Godot, written by Samuel Beckett.  Consisting of representational work ranging from text-based (again), video and traditional oil painting, I responded to the many different interpretations of the play that have been put forth since it's 1953 inception.
Below is an example of the direction I took with the text-based component of the project.  By directly quoting text from the play, I attempted to create an initial sense of understanding the content and subject matter.  As the viewer reads from left to right, top to bottom, this understanding becomes replaced by a sense of confusion as the visual imagery of the text breaks down and starts to become abstracted.

I am Happy, Oil paint and synthetic polymer paint on canvas board, 30cm H x 20cm W

No comments:

Post a Comment